Losing weight and gaining muscle seems like one of the most popular combinations for many people’s fitness goals. However, being successful at both losing weight and gaining muscle can be a challenging goal to manage. Don’t be discouraged, anything is possible and we’re here to help.

Losing the weight

In order to get your goal on the road, the first step would be to lose body fat. However, you want to be sure that the method you use to lose body fat is a sustainable one and not just a short-term strategy, or else you’ll gain the weight right back. There are many ways to do this, but one of the best and most sustainable ways is to fill up on fiber and increase your cardio. Dietary fiber allows you to fully digest your food and pass stools on a more regular basis. Cardio lowers your resting pulse and strengthens your heart health. Other than just healthy bowel movements and a healthy heart, fiber and cardio will become your best friends when you begin your weight loss journey.

Gaining the muscle

The next step in your fitness journey will be to gain that muscle once you’ve lost the body fat. The best ways to gain muscle fast are to:

  • Not skip breakfast (focus on a calorie surplus instead of a calorie deficit)
  • Eat every 3 hours
  • Eat protein, fruits, and vegetables with every meal
  • Eat carbs only after a workout
  • Eat only healthy fats (avocado, dark chocolate, eggs)
  • Drink lots of water
  • Eat whole foods 90% of the time and processed foods only the other 10%
  • Train heavy
  • Increase the number of days and amount of time you workout
  • Decrease your intervals of resting time
  • Try supplements
  • Get some good sleep each night

Once you are able to implement the tips we’ve recommended for losing weight and gaining muscle, the key to hitting your fitness goals will be to stay consistent with these healthy habits. What they say is true, fitness is not just a destination, but a lifestyle. In order to reach and maintain your physical fitness, it will be crucial to continue eating lots of fiber and keeping up with your cardio in the warmer months and eat healthy fats, train heavy, and try supplements during the colder months. These are known as “bulking” and “cutting” seasons.

Don’t be concerned with the “bulking” and “cutting” seasons, since your goal is to do both (in a way) at the same time. It is best to stay consistent with the tips we mentioned previously, stay motivated, and believe that you can make it happen. In order to help you make these goals a reality, we offer one-on-one fitness training as well as women’s strength classes.

Sometimes, when working hard to reach a personal fitness goal, no matter how small or large, we experience pain. We know this, so we offer pain management services to help. We use Manual Therapy, or MT, for our pain management. MT is a treatment aimed to increase painless movement for the patients treated.